Closed Loop Geothermal Systems
Closed loop systems do not extract groundwater from the heat reservoir (formed by layers of soil and rock). In these systems the ground collector takes the form of a loop of pipework in intimate contact with the heat reservoir through which a heat transfer fluid is circulated. As the heat transfer fluid travels through the ground collector it gains or loses energy from the reservoir. This heat energy is then passed to the heat transfer system at the surface.
Groundwater Engineering provides complete open loop geothermal solutions:
- Scoping and feasibility studies
- Pumping and re-injection tests
- Well drilling and system installation
- Environmental consenting and licensing
- Monitoring of the performance of geothermal systems and advising on operational issues